"Order of the People's Commissar of Tank Production of the USSR #477ss
August 9th, 1943
On the organization of 85 mm SPGs on the T-34 chassis at the Uralmash factory
To carry out State Committee of Defense order #3892ss issued on August 8th, 1943, I order that:
- Uralmash factory director comrade Muzrukov must prepare for production of SU-85 SPGs designed at the Uralmash factory on the T-34 tank chassis and armed with the factory #9 D-5 gun.
- The following quota for SU-85 SPGs at the Uralmash factory is established:
- August: 100 units. Production begins on August 25th according to the daily table approved by me on August 8th.
- September: 150 units.
- Production of the SU-122 at the Uralmash factory must end due to the start of SU-85 production.
- The Uralmash factory is permitted to deliver 25 SU-122 SPGs in August to use up the backlog of parts.
- Factory #255 director comrade Moroz must produce and deliver electric triggers for the D-5 gun in the following amounts:
- August: 125
- September: 200Begin delivery on August 15th in even batches.
- Head of the 1st Department comrade Frezerov must supply the Uralmash factory with 85 mm D-5 guns and optics in August.
- Uralmash factory director comrade Muzrukov must provide factory #9 with blanks for 85 mm D-5 guns in the following amounts:
- August: 270 units starting delivery on August 7th.
- September: 300 units.
- In accordance with the decree of the Committee of Defense, the director of the Uralmash factory is allocated 500,000 rubles to issue as bonuses to workers who excel in production.
- Consider that the State Committee of Defense decree requires:
- The People's Commissariat of Armament (comrade Ryabikov) and factory #9 (comrade Gonor) to deliver the following amounts of 85 mm D-5 guns:
- August: 110 starting supplies on August 23rd.
- September: 170
- The NKV (comrade Ryabikov), factory #9 (comrade Gonor) and the GAU (comrade Yakovlev) to resolve defects of the 85 mm D-5 gun found by the state commission during trials.
- Commander of the Tank and Mechanized Forces comrade Fedorenko must perform large scale trials of two SPGs with 85 mm guns jointly with the GAU (comrade Yakovlev).
- Until D-5 guns begin arriving, the Uralmash factory is permitted to perform QA runs of SU-85 SPGs with ballast instead of guns. Guns must be installed prior to delivery. All defects must be corrected by the factory after company exercises.
- The Secretary of the Sverdlovsk VKP(b) Regional Committee (comrade Adrianov) must provide necessary assistance to the Uralmash factory and factory #9 in the organization and completion of the SU-85 SPG and D-5 gun production plan.
- The State Committee of Defense promised to send to the Uralmash factory and factory #9 Deputy People's Commissar of Tank Production comrade Popov, Deputy People's Commissar of Armaments comrade Mirhazanov, Member of the Military Council of Armored and Mechanized Forces comrade Biryukov, and comrade Zhevannik from the GAU. They are instructed to provide any assistance to the factory required to carry out this GOKO decree.
- The State Committee of Defense approved the plans for production of D-5 guns and SU-85 SPGs according to attachment #1."