GKO decree #6209s "On organizing T-44 tank production at factories #75 and #264" was signed on July 18th, 1944. With this order, Stalin gave permission to produce a replacement for the T-34. However, the T-44 never truly replaced the T-34-85. It was only produced at a backup factory and production volumes were small compared to the T-34-85. 1823 tanks is a very small number, and even in 1946 only 2701 T-44 tanks were built. The T-44 shouldered the problems of a revolutionary tank, although its service was long and it even saw battle.
As with many tanks that were accepted into service during wartime, the T-44 needed improvements and was unsatisfactory as is. The second T-44 variant had insufficient armour protection and failed trials at the NIBT proving grounds. This tank was accepted into service conditionally. In addition, the GBTU released new tactical-technical characteristics for a "medium tank" which represented their own vision of the T-44. This tank weighed 32 tons and had 90 mm thick front hull armour and a 115 mm thick turret.