The USSR was one of the few nations that seriously explored tank flamethrowers in the 1930s. Initially there were plans to install a flamethrower on the T-18 (MS-1) tank, but the adoption of its replacement, the T-26, led to a real breakthrough. The result was the KhT-26, the most numerous chemical (flamethrower) tank. Unlike the two-turreted T-26, which was produced relatively briefly, the KhT-26 created on its chassis was in production until 1936. It was replaced by the KhT-130, an improved version based on the single turreted T-26, and then the KhT-133, the same type of vehicle based on the T-26 with a sloped turret and hull superstructure. In total, over 1200 chemical tanks on the T-26 chassis were built, not including the KhT-27 and KhT-37. However, a considerable flaw in these tanks was discovered even before the war. Their bulletproof armour made them too vulnerable.
|Motivation from the very top was necessary to start development of the TOG flamethrower.
|Diagram of the first TOG flamethrower.
|Only three days elapsed between GKO decree #115 and the start of trials.
|Installation of TOGs on a KV-1 tank.
|Final 25 L variant of the TOG.
|Second A-34 prototype with TOG flamethrowers, August 1941.
|Firing the flamethrower.
|The same A-34 tank in Chirchik, marks from the TOG flamethrower shell can be seen.
|Factory #112 designed an improved version of the TOG mounting, but it was never used.
|POTOG, a variant of the TOG developed by M.S. Ozerskiy, May 1942.