In October and November of 1942 factory #100 designed and tested a planetary turning mechanism designed by Engineer Lieutenant Colonel A.I. Blagonravov.
We attach the report on the first stage of trials held with a KV-1S tank and ask you to approve it.
By now, the total length of trials reached 1085 km, of those 135 km was travelled towing a tank. Once the tank with a planetary mechanism even towed two tanks with a combined weight of 75 tons without issue.
The planetary turning mechanism is a new advancement in domestic tank building.
Trials showed that the planetary turning mechanism has the following advantages over clutches:
- Off-road maneuverability of the tank is improved.
- Average movement speed is increased by 25-30%.
- Off-road performance is improved.
- It is easier to steer (12-15 kg of effort instead of 40-50).
- Conditions in which the engine, gearbox, and main clutch improve.
- The lifespan of the brakes increased.
- Fuel expenditure is reduced.