Practice shows that stock fuel tanks are often not enough for long marches. This was especially critical for tanks that undertook lengthy marches away from supply units. This situation arose in the interwar period. For the USSR, this was most critical when it came to BT fast tanks. Even before the war, BT-7 tanks were equipped with 33.5 L external tanks. They were located on top of the fenders when driving on tracks or below the fenders when driving on wheels. These were the first ever specialized fuel tanks developed for armoured vehicles. These fuel tanks later migrated to the T-34. They were now attached not to the fenders, but the upper hull sides. As with the BT-7 the tanks were used during marches and were removed before battle, although this did not always happen.
|T-34-85 tank with a Jerry can rack developed at BTRZ #1, April 1944.
|Eight canisters were carried on the right side.
|7 canisters were mounted on the left side.
|The T-34-85 tank with a D-5T gun is a rare phenomenon in and of itself, but this one also has this unusual conversion.
|It is not known how common this system was. The Repairs Directorate spoke out against this initiative by BTRZ #1 and the GBTU.
|German fuel drums on a T-34 tank, Lvov-Sandomierz Operation.