"Order of the People's Commissar of Tank Production of the USSR
June 8th, 1944
Factory #100 (comrades Kotin, Yermolayev) jointly with TsNII-48 (comrades Zavyanov, Kapyrin) developed a draft project of the IS-6 heavy tank, which has significant advantages in terms of armour compared to the IS-2 mass produced tank.
In order to ensure timely production and trials of experimental prototypes of the new IS-6 tanks, I order that:
- Tactical technical requirements for the design and production of IS-6 tanks with mechanical and electric transmissions are attached to this order.
- The NKTP's chief engineer, comrade Kotin, must provide the necessary guidance in the design of the IS-6 experimental tank.
- Acting director of factory #100 comrade Solodukhin and chief designer of factory #100 comrade Yermolayev in cooperation with the director of Uralmash comrade Muzrukov and chief designer comrade Gorlitskiy must ensure that the IS-6 is designed, produced, and trialed. Comrade Muzrukov must be allotted the necessary amount of designers and technologists to develop the designs and technological processes.
- Director of the Uralmash factory comrade Muzrukov, acting director of factory #100 comrade Solodukhin, and chief designer of factory #100 comrade Yermolayev, must finish the following according to timetable in attachment #2 of this order:
- Ensure the development and release of working blueprints of the IS-6 tank, as well as production of experimental prototypes of the tank and hulls for ballistics trials.
- In cooperation with TsNII-48, design and produce weld joints, their models, and protection from HEAT shells and directed mines, as well as perform ballistics trials.
- Present a list of required materials, half-stock, and purchased items to the Chief of Supplies of the NKTP by July 1st of this year.
- Produce 8 sets of tires and disks for road wheels of the IS-6 by June 25th and send 3 sets to factory #100 for trials on an IS-2 tank.
- The chief of the 3rd Department of the NKTP, comrade Khabaryshev, must provide by July 5th of this year:
- To Uralmash, necessary scrap metal to produce hulls and turrets for IS-6 tanks as requested by the design bureaus of factory #100 and Uralmash.
- Ammunition for ballistics trials of the hull, turret, and HEAT shields.
- The Chief of Supplies of the NKTP, comrade Rozin, must provide Uralmash by July 20th of this year with necessary materials, half-stock, and purchased items as requested by the design bureaus of factory #100 and Uralmash.
- The Chief of the Financial Accounting Department of the NKTP, comrade Shagalov, must issue 350,000 rubles to the Chief Designers of the NKTP comrade Kotin, 500,000 rubles to the director of Uralmash comrade Muzrukov, and 150,000 rubles to director of TsNII-48 comrade Zanyalov for the purpose of awarding bonuses to workers who distinguished themselves during development and production of the IS-6 tanks.
Bonuses are issued according to the following schedule:
For the tank with a mechanical transmission
Design and release of working blueprints, production of a model for the model commission.
Design of the technological process, production of experimental hulls, production of experimental hulls with various types of weld joints and their trials.
Production, assembly, and release of experimental prototypes and their trials.
For the tank with an electric transmission
Design and release of working blueprints.
Design of the technological process, production of 3 experimental hulls, proving grounds trials of one hull.
Production, assembly, and release of two experimental tanks with an electric transmission.
Finalizing the tank’s design
Control over the execution of this order is given to my deputy, comrade P.M. Zernov.
People's Commissar of Tank Production of the USSR, V. Malyshev."